The Carolyn Readers Choice Award, 2014
Entries will be judged in two rounds: first round and final round.
Judges will receive and may read the complete book, but for contest purposes, we ask that you fill out the score sheet after reading the first thirty pages and before finishing the book.
Judges will receive books in PDF format. Please make sure you can accept and read PDFs on your devices.
We ask that first round judges read no more than five entries if they are all in one category, six if youíve mixed categories.
Final round judges may read one to three entries.
Judges will be able to choose the categories, book length, and heat levels of preference.
Please fill out an application for each category, including the number of entries you would like to read in that category.
Please remember that while coordinators will strive to send you entries that meet your requirements (category, length & heat level), entries have not been vetted beyond the entrantís description and category, length and heat level choices. Should you get an entry that you feel unable or unwilling to judge fairly, please contact the coordinator immediately so another judge may be assigned.
Please note: You may receive Advanced Reader Copies. Please understand that these versions may contain errors that were corrected prior to the official publication of the book. Please DO NOT mark down the book for these errors that the author has no control over.
- First round: 33 to 35 judges needed PER category
- Final round: 5 to 7 judges needed PER category
- Judges may judge more than one category.
- Judges may only judge one round.
- Judge slots will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- If the round or category has enough judges, you will be contacted and offered the opportunity to choose a different category or the other round.
- Judges must be at least 18 years of age.
- Judges must be readers only.
- If you are an aspiring author, member of a professional writers group, or involved in the publishing industry in any way, we appreciate your interest, but contest judging is for readers only.
- First round judging: February 14, 2014 through March 14, 2014
- That's 30 days to read the first thirty pages of each entry, up to six entries.
- Final round judging: March 31, 2014 through May 14, 2014
- That's 45 days to read up to three 110K word entries.
If, at any time, you don't think you'll be able to read and judge any or all of the entries sent to you, please contact the coordinator immediately so that we can assign new judges.
All lengths of stories, 10K to 110K, will compete in these nine categories.
- Erotic Romance
- Historical Romance
- Romantic Suspense
- Inspirational Romance
- Contemporary Romance
- Young/New Adult Romance
- Series Action Adventure Romance
- Mainstream with Romantic Elements
- Specialized Romance: Alternate Earth Histories, Dystopian, Futuristic, Fantasy, Time Travel, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Entries will be separated into the following length brackets:
- 10K to 40K
- 40K to 80K
- 80K to 110K
- Level 1: Characters do not have sex.
- Level 2: Sex scenes fade to black; happens behind closed doors.
- Level 3: Sex described euphemistically; no graphic terms.
- Level 4: Very sexy, but not erotic.
- Level 5: Graphic descriptions of sex.